Happy Summer! As a child, I spent summer vacations at my grandparents’ home on the beach. They lived on St. Simons Island, Georgia about 2 blocks from the ocean. The memories from these times will be forever implanted in my heart – the morning birds, the bright sun, the packed brown sand, and the amazing high waves.
This summer our family decided to spend our vacation at the beach. While not on St. Simons, we choose to rent condos outside of Charleston, S.C. at a resort called Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms. It’s a beautiful beach town. As I was planning the trip for the seven of us, I realized that we all needed some essentials for our beach bags. Here is what I decided to make sure everyone had:
- Big Beach Towel – This item seems obvious, but it couldn’t be too big, take too long to dry and need to cover at least ¾ of the lounge chairs. My choice was a reversable towel from Pottery Barn. These towels are amazing and were on sale. Here is a link: https://www.potterybarn.com/search/results.html?words=beach%20towels
- Zipped Pouch – “Badass Babes Club” – The pouch is great to store all the small items. Keeping them out of the sun, somewhat free from sand and easy to find. I found these by Mulberry and Grand while in NYC this year. There are so many options for bags and ones that are washable might be better, but I could not resist these cute sayings. Here is a link: https://www.mulberry-grand.com/collections/inspirational-canvas-pouches
- Insulated Cup – The insulated cups by Corkcicle are great. I choose the 24 oz Tumbler that keeps liquids cold for 9 hours and hot liquids hot for 3 hours. These come in a variety of colors and sizes. I bought each person one and had them personalized with vinyl letters. This is great to help do our part to save the environment as well by reusing the cups. So fun! Here is link: https://corkcicle.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3uboBRDCARIsAO2XcYD5VmsYrHAok_nIFD4yl6Qyy6wUQf-IVio9TfSsNTJpn8-xWHiZ7IkaAg4MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
- Body Sunscreen – Mineral based sunscreen is important to limit/avoid the chemicals absorbed by your body. I choose the Garden Goddess for our bodies. Here is a link: https://www.goddessgarden.com/product-category/sunscreen/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3uboBRDCARIsAO2XcYAUxnhrsG5QA3UUYkyLm6qrTBSxc-Wq3dNukdLP7S-EvjxMJS3rh7caAgIrEALw_wcB
- Lips, Face, Eyes & Ears Coverage – I don’t know about you, but I am so miserable when I forget to cover my lips & ears. There are just certain spots that are super aggravating when they are overexposed to the sun and not protected. I choose to the babo bontantical sport stick. It’ 100% Zinc Oxide and free of Soy, Dairy and Gluten and is Hypoallergenic. Here is the link: https://www.babobotanicals.com/products/zinc-sport-sunscreen-fragrance-free
- Bug Spray – We seem to be bug magnets and they just love our goodness. I choose to get the Medella Naturals. Here is a link: https://www.medellalaboratories.com/products/family-health-and-wellness/
- Handy Brush Mirror Combo – After swimming in the ocean or a dip in the pool, brushing out your hair may be necessary. I loved this compact because it’s made for wet hair and it also has a mirror for reapplying the sunscreen to your face. Here is the link: https://www.wetbrush.com/pop-and-go-detangler-solids-1.html
- Small Card Case – Having a small card case to carry your room key, cash and your ID to the beach is handy. I had this item at home and just grabbed it. If you have one that your like, please comment below.
- Cards or Other Games – It’s fun to play games on the beach. We love cards so I just picked up a deck or two. There are so many beach toys you can buy to enjoy. We also took a Frisbee, football and paddle ball.
Some bonus items that you want to take are a hat, sunglasses, a great book, maybe a small speaker and/or earphones. Protect your phone in the high heat by keeping it in your bag and under the umbrella.
The anticipation of the trip and preparation, I believe, adds to the enjoyment of the experience. Family vacations are important because we love spending time together, exploring new places and sharing in experiences. Wishing you a safe and relaxing holiday this 4th of July!
Love your comments below or email me at email@example.com